Our approach to Wellbeing
SupportLink provides a safe and confidential space to connect and discuss whatever is on your mind. Our holistic approach to wellbeing means that we provide support for both personal and work related challenges. As an independent provider, our work is focused entirely on the needs of the individual, whilst our knowledge of ACTAS provides us a context within which realistic solutions can be explored.
Here we list some of the issues that SupportLink has assisted with. The list includes some of the topics that come up regularly, however there is no issue that you can’t discuss with one of our support workers.
We also recognise that wellbeing is not always about solving problems, sometimes it is about generating change or growth. Connect with our wellbeing team to talk about making plans for moving ahead with a positive change that you’d like to make or to explore possibilities for personal development.
- Adjusting to a new City – navigating social and support options/interests
- Bullying / Harassment / Discrimination
- Consultancy / information for how to best support peers / family / friends through difficulties
- Coping with medical conditions
- Developing and maintaining personalised wellbeing plans
- Family Violence
- Financial difficulties
- Grief and Loss
- LGBTQIA related issues
- Mental Health (depression/anxiety)
- Relationship challenges
- Strategies for dealing with anger/strong emotion
- Substance misuse
- Time/workload planning in relation to study
- Warm referrals into therapeutic providers or specific services
family & RELATIONSHIP issues
- Impact of your work on your family
- Blended families
- Caring for a loved one with mental health concerns
- Caring for a loved one with substance misuse challenges
- Challenges related to parenting
- Conflict resolution and mediation
- Grief loss and trauma support
- Supporting elderly parents
work related issues
- Advocacy / Support connecting with ACTAS pathways to resolve workplace issues
- ComCare processes
- Conflict resolution and mediation
- Managing work / life balance
- Shift work challenges
- Professional goal setting/succession planning
- Work-related incident trauma
- Workplace disputes
HEALTH AND WELLBEING
- Mindfulness training
- Support through illness
- Information about yoga/meditation
- Assistance with creating/maintaining health and wellness plans
- Self care, personalised plans
Personalised Wellbeing Plans
Each individual’s sense of wellbeing is based upon a combination of factors unique to them.
Maintaining wellbeing draws upon these unique factors and it can be helpful to develop a plan of wellbeing maintenance when we are feeling well, as we can often most clearly identify who are our support people, what has helped us through a difficult time in the past, what creates joy and alleviates stress for us, from a place of wellness rather than when we are feeling overwhelmed.
The WBS can assist you to develop your own personalised wellbeing plan, specific to you and to your lifestyle.
Here is a simple DIY wellbeing plan that you can do if you have a spare 15 minutes. This is an ideal activity to do when you're having a good day – like any plan, it's most helpful to have it ready prior to when you'll need it. For a more detailed and tailored plan, make an appointment to come in for a chat.
Personal Development Opportunities
We also offer training in: Mindful Meditation, Basic Breathing & De-escalating Techniques, and Dealing with Strong Emotions. We can also tailor something to suit your personal needs. Get in touch for more information.
Each of these modules provide knowledge that can be useful for the individual to implement in their own lives and also as tools that can be learnt to pass on to others.
All modules are grounded in research and up-to-date best practice models. Resources and support materials are provided with each learning module.
1. MINDFUL MEDITATION
-Teaches theory of mindful practice; why it works and what it can be used for.
-Teaches basic mindful meditation practice.
-Teaches techniques of how to integrate mindful practice into day-to-day life so as to make it a sustainable practice.
-Possibility for follow up/advanced training.
2. BASIC BREATHING & DE-ESCALATING TECHNIQUES
-Teaches theory behind the neuroscience and biology of diaphragmatic breathing – why does it help? How does it work?
-Teaches the practice of breath awareness as well as awareness of sensations in the body; using awareness to lead to grounding/de-escalation.
-Demonstrates various breathing techniques (e.g diaphragmatic breathing, square breathing, 4-7-8 breathing) that can be used in different circumstances
3. PSYCHOLOGY OF THOUGHTS
CBT - Brief Expl’n of CBT. Ref. Mindsight by D Seigal.
- Draws on highly researched and evidence based theories such as CBT to help explain the link between thoughts, feelings and behaviours.
- Provides strategies for identifying unhelpful thoughts and techniques for introducing more helpful alternatives.
4. DEALING WITH STRONG EMOTIONS
- Examines strong emotion such as anger and frustration through a compassionate lens, explaining the difference between emotions and behaviours.
- Explores healthy ways to experience strong emotions.